CCCR presents petition of 30,000 signatures at Caribou Recovery meeting in Dawson Creek

first_imgDAWSON CREEK, B.C. – The Concerned Citizens for Caribou Recovery presented a petition of 30,000 signatures at the Draft Caribou Recovery Agreements meeting on Thursday in Dawson Creek.Kathleen Connolly, Group member and Executive Director of the Dawson Creek Chamber of Commerce, says the petition has been open since November and is asking the Government to consider halting the process until all the necessary work is complete.“The petition has been open since November. What we’re asking Government to do is three things. We asked them to halt all of the negotiations immediately, which they didn’t do. We asked that they consult openly with all users, stakeholders, businesses, local government, and all those people that would be impacted, they didn’t do that. We asked that they do socio-economic impact assessments on the entire Northeast region; they’ve not done that either.”- Advertisement -Connolly thought that the Dawson Creek meeting would be the perfect opportunity to publicly present the petition which contains over 1,300 pages of signatures.Connolly says that her group would like to put the petition on a plane to Victoria and present it personally to the Legislature sometime next week.Earlier this week, on Tuesday, the CCCR did send a letter to the Government regarding the socio-economic impact that the Draft Caribou Recovery Agreements would have on the Peace Region.Advertisementlast_img read more

Klopp v Big Sam, glorious defeats and why Ireland have one team for rugby and two for football – the Warm Up with Max Rushden

first_imgListen to Max Rushden and Barry Glendenning as they talk about the wonderful world of sport while promoting a brand of crisps.Subjects tackled by Max and Barry include Liverpool and Sunderland’s new managers, Scotland missing out on the Euros when all the other Home Nations (plus the Republic of Ireland, Barry hopes) will be there and why Ireland has one rugby team but two football sides.The boys also suggest things for Scots to do next summer while everyone else is at the Euros, find out if Bournemouth’s Steve Cook is nice and chat with Blue Peter legend Zoe Salmon about Norn Iron’s Euro 2016 glory.Wizard!To get the Warm Up with Max Rushden podcast every week, click here and download from the iTunes store for freelast_img read more

Man United blow! Ronaldo rejects return rumours and vows to retire at Real Madrid

first_img1 Real Madrid superstar Cristiano Ronaldo Cristiano Ronaldo has cooled talk of a return to Manchester United by revealing he wants to retire at Real Madrid.The Portugal international has risen to superstardom since moving to the Spanish capital and recently became the club’s all-time leading scorer.Various reports over the past 12 months have linked the 30-year-old with a return to Old Trafford, where he scored over 100 goals in six seasons, after it was claimed he had become frustrated with life at Real.However, he has now poured cold water on those rumours and expressed his desire to see out his playing days at the Bernabeu.“My dream is to retire at Real Madrid,” Ronaldo told Marca.“If I can take care of myself I can play until 40; I want to play for at least five or six years more.“I feel good and useful in Madrid and I want to keep winning here.”last_img read more

Man United fans to sing this song in tribute at Old Trafford tonight?

first_imgMan United play PSV at Old Trafford in the Champions League in what is likely to be an emotional night.Ten years ago, Old Trafford icon George Best died at the age of 59 having scored 179 goals in 470 games and dazzling thousands with his skilful displays.And it’s likely those watching the game will hear this popular fan song, as they pay tribute to their ‘spirit in the sky’.LISTEN: GEORGE BEST’S LAST EVER INTERVIEWBy coincidence, Best’s former team-mate and another legendary United figure, Bill Foulkes – who played 688 times for the club between 1950 and 1970 – also passed away on this date, in 2013.last_img read more

Construction begins on theater complex in Pico Rivera

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORESanta Anita opens winter meet Saturday with loaded card160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! PICO RIVERA – Bulldozers are rumbling over a 12-acre plot of land where work on a retail and movie theater complex is finally under way – two years after the original construction start date. If everything “falls into place,” Pico Rivera residents will be enjoying new releases in the city’s first-ever 14-screen cineplex “come the 2006 holiday season,” said city spokesman Bob Spencer. With domestic theater revenue falling below $9 billion last year – the lowest they have been since 2001 – Krikorian Premiere Theaters President George Krikorian is optimistically moving forward with the project now that soil contamination issues at the site have been resolved. “I have no worries,” he said of lagging box office receipts. But last year was “a huge wakeup call to all theater owners,” who are feeling the pinch as alternatives such as DVD rentals and the Internet dig deep into box office profits, said Paul Dergarabedian, president of Exhibitor Relations Co., a box office tracking firm in Encino. Movie attendance dropped by about 7 percent last year, the sharpest slump since 1985, when attendance fell by 12 percent, according to Exhibitor Relations. Such statistics do not dissuade Krikorian, who is banking on strong community support for his multiplex. “This business is product driven, but does that mean that business is bad? No,” he said. “People in Pico Rivera have been starved for entertainment for years and now won’t have to leave the community to see movies.” Grading on the property at Whittier and Paramount boulevards could be completed by mid-April, city officials said. Construction on the theater should begin soon after that, said Bill Shannon, the city’s director of housing services. The multiplex will be surrounded by a mix of restaurants and stores, although a Sav-on drugstore, originally part of the plans, has bowed out, Shannon said. Krikorian said the company is now negotiating with restaurants interested in coming to the site, but he declined to name them. Lead contamination from a former metals recycling plant, which was discovered on the property in 2002, had delayed progress on the project. But the contamination has been removed. Krikorian paid the city $3.4million for the property, about $7 million less than what the city paid for the land. But city officials are confident they can recoup the difference through sales and property tax revenue once the center is completed and is operating. “There is great disbelief that this is finally underway,” said Shannon. “But it is, and we feel confident.” debbie.pfeiffer@sgvn.com (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3028last_img read more

L.A. seeking boost for minority businesses

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORE11 theater productions to see in Southern California this week, Dec. 27-Jan. 2“What we do is inform businesses of what is available out there and leverage our resources to get them capital,” Mora said. As part of the program, the city has agreed to award more than $200 million in contracts to minority firms over the next two years. rick.orlov@dailynews.com (213) 978-0390 Los Angeles will seek to give minority- and women-owned businesses more than $200 million over the next two years as part of expansion efforts at the city’s Minority Business Opportunity Commission. Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa kicked off the effort Thursday with plans to raise business owners’ awareness of the program in which the city helps firms obtain federal loans and investments. “It is fitting that Los Angeles, where more than 100,000 businesses are minority-owned, is designated as a minority business center,” Villaraigosa said at a networking session with more than 100 small-business owners at City Hall. The Department of Commerce designation means Los Angeles will get $600,000 over the next two years to help its efforts to provide business for minority- and women-owned firms, said David Mora, executive director of the commission. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

SKY SHOULD PROVIDE FREE SERVICE TO GAA HALLS – HARKIN

first_imgYou’ll need one of these to see 14 GAA gamesTHE GAA should ask Sky TV to provide free services to GAA clubs throughout the country following its rights deal, MEP Marian Harkin has insisted.There has been a mixed reaction to the decision of the GAA to sell rights to 14 games to Sky TV. 31 other games will be free on RTE.“Because the GAA had been developed and sustained by voluntary effort since it’s foundation the organisation had a duty of care to ensure that the deal with Sky did not shut off access to games to people unable to afford Sky charges.” said Harkin She called on the GAA to be prepared to pay the fee to Sky which would ensure that in every community in Ireland there would be an opportunity to view all televised games now restricted to Sky – or Sky should provide a free service.“Older people in particular who cannot get to games and children who should not be required to go to a pub to view GAA games, must be provided with the opportunity to view all televised GAA games”, she said.“The GAA should consider paying the Sky service fee and help to provide an appropriate screen in GAA clubs, in the first instance, or community halls.“GAA clubs themselves would be very capable of organising transport, if necessary, for people to view games in clubs or community halls. This would avoid a situation where people who do not wish to have Sky service or cannot afford it, are precluded from enjoying GAA games, the development of which many of them contributed so much,” added the MEP.  SKY SHOULD PROVIDE FREE SERVICE TO GAA HALLS – HARKIN was last modified: April 1st, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:dealGAArightsSKY TVlast_img read more

Russia’s First ‘Active House’ Gets a Test Drive

first_imgEnergy efficiency and other green building concepts are not brand new in Russia. The Passive House Institute Russia, the Russian Sustainable Building Council, and building science researchers all do business there. But energy conservation in general and energy efficient homes in particular have not gained serious traction.Zagorodny Proekt, a major developer in the Moscow area, apparently decided that it could help highlight the advantages of green homes and, in the process, boost its own profile through a tried and true marketing device: the showcase home. The impetus for the project, though, actually came from Velux Group, a Danish-based specialist in window and solar power systems that has been promoting a green-home concept called Active House. Since 2008, a total of seven “experimental” Active House projects have taken root in Western Europe, the UK, and now Russia.According to the Active House plan, most of these buildings were to be open to visitors for 12 months and monitored for performance. The plan also calls for them to be sold for below market value. The recently completed Active House in Russia – or Activny Dom, as Velux calls it – will be open to visitors for a total of six months before it is occupied by a “test family” for 12 months. Monitoring will continue throughout.Above and beyond usual standardsMost of the Active House projects, including the one in Russia, incorporate Passivhaus concepts of insulation, airtightness, and optimal solar exposure, even if they aren’t aiming for Passivhaus certification. To bring its performance close to net zero energy, the showcase house also is equipped with a photovoltaic system, solar hot water (with Velux solar collectors), a geothermal heat pump, and a WindowMaster automated system that opens and closes Velux windows, and controls blinds and exterior awnings for shading, to regulate the interior climate.At 2,470 sq. ft., the house cost about $1 million to build – well beyond what most people in the region can afford – and its renewable-energy systems, including the PV panels, are relative rarities in Russia. Zagorodny Proekt understands that the price is high and that the systems might seem exotic, but sees the project as both a research tool and a way to appeal to wealthy Russians who have traveled to Europe, where energy costs are far higher than in Russia and energy efficient homes are relatively common.— because even Russia is eventually going to have to reckon with rising energy costs.last_img read more

Sub-zero temperatures slow down life in Kashmir Valley

first_imgFalling sub-zero temperatures sweept the entire Kashmir Valley on Monday, further slowing down life, especially in Srinagar. With frost-hit vehicles and slippery roads, the city witnessed this winter’s coldest night at minus 6.1 degree Celsius, according to the Meteorological Department.The movement of scores of office-goers was hampered as a layer of frost covered vehicles’ windows. Diesel cars came to a standstill due to icy conditions.“It took me half-an-hour to start my car. All windows were covered with frost,” said Naseer Ahmad, an employee of a private bank.Markets open lateMost government offices in Srinagar have advanced the time of moving in. The impact of the cold wave was also evident in markets, which opened later than usual.Tourists travelling to hill stations like Gulmarg, Pahalgam and Sonamarg, where the minimum temperature hovered between minus eight degree Celsius and minus 11 Celsius, saw their vehicles skidding owing to slippery conditions.An Army spokesman said men and machinery were put into service on Monday after a group of tourists returning from Gulmarg were stuck near the Baba Rishi Y-junction. “A recovery team reached the site and swiftly recovered the stranded vehicle,” he added.Unscheduled electricity cuts across the Valley multiplied the residents’ woes.In KargilIn Kargil, which recorded the State’s lowest temperature at minus 18.5 degree Celsius, piped water has frozen. “We boil ice to make our washrooms functional,” said Nazir Ahmad.“In the next 48 hours, there will be a further dip in temperature because of open skies. This week is likely to be dry and may flip the cold wave,” said a Met official.last_img read more