#JaVotes2016: Voters turned away in Spanish Town – Liaison officers

first_img Francis said the presiding officer was in charge and added that even if their names were not on the list there was a supplemental list, which had their names. “From you sell your vote you will sell your soul,” another told The Gleaner. Liaison officers at the Phillippo Baptist Church in Spanish Town were bitter as they told The Gleaner that several persons, who had come to vote were being turned away with claims that their names were not on the voters list. The officers claimed that they escorted several persons and did find their names on the list after they had initially been turned away. “A eleven somebody we count say them name not on the list and when we come back and go up there with them we found their names,” Liaison officer, Joy Francis told The Gleaner.last_img read more

Napoli president explains why he ‘had to lay down the law’ to Chelsea

first_imgNapoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis believes new Chelsea manager Maurizio Sarri wanted to ‘dismantle’ the Serie A side’s squad and claimed he had to ‘lay down the law’ to Marina Granovskaia, the Premier League club’s deal maker.During his time in charge of the club, Sarri and De Laurentiis fell out and Carlo Ancelotti was brought in to replace him despite the club’s impressive season that brought 91 points and a runners-up spot. 3 De Laurentiis and Sarri parted company on bad terms 3 Sarri replaced Conte as Chelsea manager 3center_img De Laurentiis, though, refuted his claims.“I didn’t like it when he said that we both made mistakes,” he told Sky Sports Italia. “I don’t think I made any.“I wasn’t wrong not to challenge him even if it would have been most obvious thing.“He had a contract so I could have said something because he was acting in an unacceptable manner, going against players he didn’t think were very good.“These players gave him a lot. He massacred them in his fantastic training sessions but they always responded well.“After that, he wanted to take my whole team to England and dismantle it. I had to lay down the law to Marina.” So far the only player who has followed Sarri to the Premier League is Italy international Jorginho, who was sold for £50million.“He wanted Jorginho and I gave him away after I talked to Ancelotti, who told me he was banking a lot on [Amadou] Diawara and that he wanted to play [Marek] Hamsik deeper.” Jorginho completed 2860 passes in Serie A last season; the most of any player within the Top five European Leagues Sarri later took over from Antonio Conte at Stamford Bridge and said he was sorry to leave Italy.“I have a wonderful memory of Napoli,” he said when unveiled as Chelsea’s new manager.“I love the people there and I will always love them. If we parted on bad terms with the club and the President then I think mistakes were made on both sides.“Maybe the President misinterpreted some silences of mine, these were the uncertainties of someone who was torn, thinking it might be time to go.“But I was heartbroken, and I hope in the coming years all of this can be overcome.”last_img read more

VVS Laxman reveals he was not fit enough to play 2001 Kolkata Test vs Australia

first_imgWhenever someone talks about VVS Laxman, his match-winning knock against Australia in the Kolkata Test crops up.India’s win over the mighty Australians in the Eden Gardens Test 18 years ago is a part of cricketing folklore and so is Laxman’s innings of 281.Laxman, promoted to No.3 after his first innings’ 59 out of a team score of 171, came up with his magical innings and also added 376 runs for the fifth wicket with Rahul Dravid (180).The Laxman-Dravid partnership that redefined Indian cricketHis knock and the record stand with Dravid, set up a stunning victory for India after they were asked to follow-on by Steve Waugh.On Thursday, the former India cricketer revealed a big secret relating to that knock in 2001.Maiden hundred in Sydney Test removed all doubts I had about my game: VVS Laxman”281 (against Australia in 2001) was a significant achievement as far as I am concerned because the situation we were in (that Test match). And also I was not fit enough to play that Test match. Hemang Badani was there in the physio room, when I walked into (former physio) Andrew Leipus, who actually I feel because of him I was able to play the Test match,” Laxman recalled at the Mumbai launch of his book ‘281 and Beyond’, co-authored by R Kaushik.Laxman said that his partner and former India batsman Rahul Dravid constantly motivated him through their partnership.VVS Laxman snatched victory from the jaws of defeat vs AustraliaDravid scored a 180 in the second innings after the hosts were given a follow on by Australia. India eventually went on to win the Test match by 171 runs and later the series 2-1.advertisement”At the first place I was not going to the play the Test match and Andrew made me fit to take the field. It was a great opportunity for my-self to go and just play my natural game.VVS Laxman flattens Australia with another special”So that Test match was an important Test match, because I didn’t make runs in the first Test match (in Mumbai) and as it turned out I played my natural game, played on the merit of the ball, didn’t really think about what happened in the past or what’s going to happen.”Credit to Rahul (Dravid) the way he kept motivating me at the other end and playing such a fantastic knock. But that partnership with Rahul was so important,” Laxman reminisced, in presence of cricket icon Sachin Tendulkar.Laxman also remembered the 167, which he scored against Australia in Sydney, saying that innings gave him confidence to play at the international level.”But having said that 281 never ever put pressure on me, because the first four years, while I was trying to fulfil the expectations of everyone, I forgot what I expected on my side (from me). And the tour to Australia in 1999-2000, changed that perception, changed my perspective and approach towards the game.”The 167 (in Sydney) was a defining moment as far as I am concerned because that gave me the confidence that I can go and play against the best, irrespective of whether I am playing in India or in their own backyard and I belong to the international level.”(So) 281, actually didn’t put any pressure on me, neither did I feel pressure when I walked out that people are expecting me to score 200 or 281, it doesn’t happen that way,” he signed off.During the programme, Tendulkar shared several anecdotes of Laxman including from his first tour to South Africa.Also former India players Dilip Vengsarkar and Sandeep Patil also showered praise on Laxman in presence of galaxy of former international players like Ashish Nehra, Kiran More, Lalchand Rajput and others.(With PTI inputs)Also Watch – India start tour of Australia with four-wicket loss in first T20Ilast_img read more

Establishment of Global Tourism Resilience and Crisis Management Centre vital – OAS Official

first_img Assistant Secretary General of the Organization of American States (OAS), Nestor Mendez, says establishment of the Global Tourism Resilience and Crisis Management Centre, in the Caribbean, is not only vital but also “very timely.”He was addressing the official launch of the Centre, at the Montego Bay Convention Centre, in Rose Hall, St. James, on January 30.Mr. Mendez  said the centre, being opened just  a short 14 months since the adoption of the Montego Bay Declaration, following the United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) conference on sustainable growth in November 2017, is nothing short of remarkable.“It is not just a remarkable achievement but also a testament to the hard work and determination of the Government of Jamaica,” Mr. Mendez told the audience.“I must commend the leadership shown by the Government of Jamaica and indeed Tourism Minister, Edmund Bartlett, in the establishment of the centre, which was a mandate of the Declaration of Montego Bay in 2017,” he  added.The Declaration was officially presented by Mr. Bartlett,  and Executive Director of the UNWTO, Carlos Vogeler.Among the key elements of the Declaration is a call for support of the establishment of a Global Tourism Resilience Centre in the Caribbean, including a Sustainable Tourism Observatory, to assist destinations’ preparedness, management and recovery from crises that impact tourism and threaten economies and livelihoods.Mr. Mendez said that while travel and tourism contributes to more than 10 per cent of world output and nearly 10 per cent of employment worldwide, the sector nevertheless remains vulnerable to threats, challenges, and disruptions of various sorts, especially in relation to climate change and natural disasters.These disruptions, he said, almost always have the potential to stymie growth and prosperity in the region.“It is of particular significance that the Centre is being established here in the Caribbean, as the Caribbean tourism sector is often the victim of the Atlantic hurricanes, which invariably leads to temporary and permanent closure of hotels and ancillary businesses,” Mr. Mendez said.He said the OAS has long recognised, with grave concern, that the Latin American and Caribbean region represents one of the most vulnerable regions in the world, due to the adverse impact of climate change.“For the OAS, the issue of resilience remains a critical one. The organization has played an integral role in supporting efforts to enhance resilience in the tourism sector in the Caribbean for many years,” Mr. Mendez noted.In the aftermath of the destructive 2017 hurricane season in the Caribbean, which saw destruction caused by hurricanes Maria in Dominica and Puerto Rico and Irma in the island of Barbuda, the OAS, at its headquarters in Washington, D.C., hosted a meeting with Caribbean leaders and international business mogul, Sir Richard Branson, as well as several international institutions and private sector officials.“This meeting sought to put together a broad-based multi-sector coalition to mobilise private sector funding of climate change resilience initiatives in the region, as the foundation for urgent action,” Mr. Mendez explained.“The OAS remains committed to supporting resilience efforts in the region, including this initiative to establish the Global Tourism Resilience and Crisis Management Centre,” he added. Story Highlights Among the key elements of the Declaration is a call for support of the establishment of a Global Tourism Resilience Centre in the Caribbean, including a Sustainable Tourism Observatory, to assist destinations’ preparedness, management and recovery from crises that impact tourism and threaten economies and livelihoods. Assistant Secretary General of the Organization of American States (OAS), Nestor Mendez, says establishment of the Global Tourism Resilience and Crisis Management Centre, in the Caribbean, is not only vital but also “very timely.” “The OAS remains committed to supporting resilience efforts in the region, including this initiative to establish the Global Tourism Resilience and Crisis Management Centre,” he added.last_img read more

Health Ministry Welcomes Partnerships – Dr. Ferguson

first_imgHealth Minister, Hon. Dr. Fenton Ferguson, says the Ministry welcomes all partnerships that seek to improve health care delivery and provision of services to the people of Jamaica. “This is an indication that we are all taking responsibility for health care in this country and we see the value of partnerships and participation to move the health sector forward,” he stated. Dr. Ferguson was speaking on Thursday, March 14 at the handing over of 100 wheelchairs valued some $4 million to the Kingston Public Hospital (KPH). The items were donated by the Rotary Club of St. Andrew, through assistance from the California-based Wheelchair Foundation, and the Giradin Family Trust in Florida. Expressing gratitude, the Minister said that the Rotary Club has, in the past, donated 100 wheelchairs to the North East Regional Health Authority, the University Hospital of the West Indies (UHWI), and the Bustamante Hospital for Children. He pointed out that the club played an important role in the establishment of the Cardiac Unit at the UHWI, and donated a dialysis machine to the KPH, as well as equipment valuing $5 million for newborns at the Bustamante Hospital. Chairman of the South East Regional Health Authority (SERHA), Lyttleton Shirley, in welcoming the donation, said there is always need for additional wheelchairs. He said last year, 74,000 persons were seen in the hospital’s Accident and Emergency department, while more than 205,000 persons visited the Outpatient department, and 28,000 were admitted. Accident and Emergency visits and patient admissions saw a four per cent increase in 2012 compared to 2011, while the outpatient department load increased by 27 per cent. “So, you can understand the need for additional wheelchairs…I am also very pleased that the club has donated replacement service parts, which will extend the years for the use of wheelchairs being donated today,” he stated. By Alphea Saunders, JIS Photolast_img read more

Quebec man is dead after falling into manure pit on agricultural land

first_imgMONTREAL – A 39-year-old man died Monday after falling into a manure pit on agricultural land in Sainte-Helene-de-Bagot, about 80 kilometres east of Montreal.Firefighters and first responders extracted the man from the pit, but their resuscitation efforts failed.Stephan Scalabrini, spokesman with the ambulance company that arrived on the scene, said the 39-year-old could have been overcome by a health issue or was intoxicated.“The odours (from the pit) are very strong,” he said. “Gas is released from there, asphyxiant gasses too, it’s a possibility the coroner will evaluate.”Quebec’s workplace safety board has also opened an investigation into the man’s death.last_img read more