Indonesia receives first shipment of ventilators from United Nations organizations

first_imgThe first shipment of five ventilators from a total of 33 units jointly procured by the United Nations Development Program (UNDP), the World Health Organization (WHO) and the International Organization for Migration (IOM) for Indonesia arrived in Jakarta on Monday.“The ventilators will be symbolically given to the BNPB [National Disaster Mitigation Agency],” communications head of UNDP Indonesia Tomi Soetjipto said in a press statement on Tuesday.“Ventilators are important devices that are greatly needed for COVID-19 patients,” he added. For severely ill COVID-19 patients whose lungs have been damaged by the coronavirus, a ventilator pushes oxygen-rich air into the lungs, helping the patient to breathe normally. The ventilator is expected to give the patient time to fight off the virus and recover. However, the survival rate for COVID-19 patients on ventilators is not yet clear. “Globally, there has been a high demand for essential equipment to treat COVID-19, so these ventilators will make a significant impact in providing critical care to those patients worst affected, across the country,” WHO Representative to Indonesia N. Paranietharan said in the statement.The joint effort of UN organizations to assist Indonesia will provide a total of 33 ventilators over the course of four weeks at an estimated cost of US$762,460. The WHO will provide a total of 27 ventilators supported through a partnership with the Japanese government, meanwhile, the IOM and the UNDP will provide three ventilators each.“In complement, the UNDP together with the rest of the United Nations development system will intensify its support to cushion the socioeconomic impact of the pandemic on the Indonesian people and prepare for a green sustainable recovery in close partnership with the government,” UNDP resident representative Christophe Bahuet said.Chief of mission of the IOM, Louis Hoffmann, added that the delivery of the ventilators was funded by the Australian government as part of a larger package of critical, life-saving supplies and equipment that the IOM will deliver to the country.Previously, Indonesia was set to receive the first delivery of ventilators from the United States in early June, as a result of a call between President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo and US President Donald Trump in April.Domestically, the Research and Technology Ministry along with the National Research and Innovation Agency (BRIN) had stated that Indonesia would start producing 100 to 300 ventilators starting in early June, with state-owned weapons manufacturer Pindad, hospital equipment maker PT Poly Jaya Medikal, electronics manufacturer PT LEN and automotive holding company Dharma Group among those involved in the manufacturing process.Topics :last_img read more

Anthony Joshua is ‘finished’ says Tyson Fury

first_imgBut unbeaten Fury, who shed around 10 stone (64 kilograms) in a bid to re-establish himself in the heavyweight division after a battle with mental health and drugs issues, said body shape was no indicator of success.“Physically Joshua could out-train everyone,” said the 30-year-old, who is preparing to fight Germany’s Tom Schwarz in Las Vegas on Saturday.“He would break every heart monitor, has probably worn out every treadmill in the gym, smashes the bag, it’s all very unimportant.“Boxing isn’t rocket science and today people are trying to make it a scientist thing. If you can fight you can fight, if you can’t you can forget about it.”World Boxing Council heavyweight world champion Deontay Wilder said last month that he had lined up a highly anticipated rematch with Fury, to take place after Wilder’s rematch with Luis Ortiz, which will reportedly take place in September.Wilder and Fury fought to a draw in Los Angeles in December after an epic 12-round battle at the Staples Center.“If I was a match-fit fighter and some fat man comes off drugs and alcohol and done that to me I’d never look at the sport again,” said Fury.“Does Deontay Wilder have anything to bother me? Nothing at all. I’ve been hurt 1,000 times but Wilder didn’t hurt me once.” London, United Kingdom | AFP | Tyson Fury believes former world champion Anthony Joshua is “finished” after the British heavyweight’s shock defeat to Andy Ruiz Jr in New York.Joshua lost his IBF, WBA and WBO titles on June 1 in one of the biggest upsets in the history of the division.After the fight, Fury sent a message on Twitter that urged his fellow Briton to “rest up, recover, regroup and come again”.But this week he told BBC Sport: “When a man doesn’t want to be there once, he will always do it and it’s hard to come back from.“It’s been done many different times by many different fighters. He did it that night and I don’t think he will come back from it. Finished. Ask any top trainer who has been around the sport a lifetime. When he got to the ring I saw he didn’t want to be there.”Joshua, 29, whose defeat against Ruiz was the first of his career, had previously made Fury an offer to fight.“Everybody thought that man could beat me,” said Fury. “In what world could he ever beat me? What were people seeing?“I don’t know what people were looking at as I don’t know in what world he could have beaten me.”Joshua’s seventh-round stoppage by Ruiz came as a huge surprise as his opponent had been given barely one month’s notice for the fight and weighed in at more than 20 pounds (nine kilograms) heavier than the Briton. Share on: WhatsAppcenter_img FILE PHOTO: Anthony Joshua was defeated by Andy Ruiz Jr .last_img read more

Donegal needs public vote to taste success in Foodie Destinations awards

first_imgDonegal’s ongoing food revolution aimed at making the county famous for food, received a tremendous boost this week with the news that Donegal Food Coast initiative has been short-listed as a finalist for Foodie Destinations 2019.The Foodie Destinations awards are run by the Restaurants Association of Ireland, with the aim of finding the ultimate foodie destination in Ireland. Head of Enterprise in Donegal, Michael Tunney, said it was fantastic to have Donegal in the short-listed finalists and he urged the people of the county to get behind the project in the public vote. Mr Tunney said: “The Food Coast – Donegal’s Good Food Initiative – was developed by Local Enterprise Office Donegal as a programme to support development, growth and quality in Donegal’s food sector. In a short space of time, it has become a central platform for establishing Donegal as a “Food County” – a place with a vibrant food culture and food economy and that’s something we are determined to expand upon,” he said.Head of Enterprise Michael TunneyMr Tunney explained that since the launch of the Donegal Food Strategy in 2012, Food Coast Donegal has worked collectively with interested food sector professionals to develop the county’s base of food producers and allow the chefs and restaurants to have a wider pool of local ingredients to choose from. “There is a new confidence growing in our local food sector and with the awareness of the Wild Atlantic Way, more people are looking to Donegal as a new place to explore and discover,” he suggested. Indeed, only recently, the county launched its 2019 list of Donegal’s Food Coast Experiences.A DONEGAL FEAST AT THE FOOT OF ERRIGALSEPTEMBER 30th 2019 – one of the Donegal Food Coast Experiences this year“Food plays an intrinsic role in the visitor experience and the series of food events we have in Donegal this year, offer a wide range of extraordinary experiences celebrating Donegal food and its champions,” he said.Add to that the county’s growing array of nationally and internationally recognised chefs, as well as national and international successes and the Head of Enterprise suggests the fruits of the work being done by Food Coast Donegal is really starting to pay off.“The vision of the Donegal Food Strategy has always been to collectively work together to make Donegal famous for food. To make the county recognised as a pioneering region for its approach to fostering and growing new start-up and existing food businesses.“We have plans in place for more initiatives to keep this momentum going, but in the meantime it is without doubt a great honour to have been short-listed as a finalist.  “I am certain that everyone involved with the Food Coast will be looking forward to welcoming the judges and I would appeal to the people of Donegal to get behind the Food Coast in the public vote,” he concluded.The public will be able to vote for their favourite destination from noon on Wednesday 24th of July until noon on Tuesday 20th of August. They can do this through www.foodiedestinations.ieLocal Enterprise Office Donegal is supported through co-funding from the Irish Government and the European Regional Development Fund 2014 – 2020. To contact the Local Enterprise Office in Donegal, log on to www.localenterprise.ie/donegal or phone 0749160735.Donegal needs public vote to taste success in Foodie Destinations awards was last modified: July 22nd, 2019 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

9 months ago​Chelsea boost as AC Milan target Higuain replacement

first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say ​Chelsea boost as AC Milan target Higuain replacementby Freddie Taylor9 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveChelsea are boosted by news that AC Milan are already looking for a replacement for Gonzalo Higuain.Milan feel that Juventus want to cash in on Higuain, which has led them to pursue Krzysztof Piatek from Genoa.For now, Higuain is on loan at Milan till the end of the season.Any Chelsea deal would only be possible if Milan agreed to terminate his loan, which would allow Juventus to sell him.And former Italy star Antonio Cassano does not believe that letting Higuain leave is the right move.Cassano is quoted by the Daily Mirror as saying: “For me it’d be madness to sell Higuain. He’s their only decent player, their only champion, and one of the best strikers in the world. I would never get rid of him.” last_img read more

a month agoAC Milan consider move for Tottenham fullback Serge Aurier

first_imgAC Milan consider move for Tottenham fullback Serge Aurierby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveAC Milan are considering a move for Tottenham fullback Serge Aurier.The Serie A side are looking for an alternative for Andrea Conti.Sport Mediaset says they will target Aurier in January.Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino is yet to be convinced by the Ivory Coast international.The Argentine could be open to selling Aurier if he can find a replacement. TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

8 days agoMexico boss Martino happy Man Utd watching Macias and Cordova

first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Mexico boss Martino happy Man Utd watching Macias and Cordovaby Paul Vegas8 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveMexico boss Gerardo Martino is happy hearing Manchester United are watching the young pair.Jose Juan Macias and Sebastian Cordova have been linked with United in recent weeks.Macias, a striker with Leon, is also interesting West Ham. Cordova is a 22-year-old winger who plays in his homeland for Club America and has been linked with United in Portuguese media reports.Martino stated: “The important teams in Europe must have in their sights on more than 100 players in the world, which does not mean that they are going to buy them. So they are in the sight of Benfica or Manchester like so many others, it’s the work they must do.“If there is any comment, it’s because they generate it for their performances and are doing things well, it’s likely that there are scouts who take them into account.” last_img read more